Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Maximus - best name never: Lagunitas Maximus IPA

I was in need of some crisp and cool hoppiness this evening, so I decided to turn to one of the IPAs I was holding off on (since, admittedly so, the blog is very IPA heavy). Tonight, we look into the self proclaimed "greatest" IPA in Lagunitas' Maximus IPA.





Lagunitas is a California based brewing company (is it me, or do most IPAs come from the west coast?) that currently only ships beer to 29 states and 2 Canadian provinces. They constantly brew 7 different types of beers, including 2 different IPAs, along with a nice variety of seasonal beers.

I tried to pour this beer a little harder than I typically do to judge the true head of the beer which, not to my surprise, was minimal and quickly dissipated, but was much more visible than when I typically pour my beers. The beer is a clear, golden color typical of many classic IPAs and has a subtle, hoppy aroma. The flavor is smooth and refreshing, with a nice undertone of hops that does not over power the flavor of the beer. Underneath the hops is a soft citrus and spice that balances out the hops.

I can honestly say that this is one of the better IPAs I have tried lately. As much as I enjoy a skull-crushing hoppiness, sometimes it is nice to be able to see clearly after drinking a beer! This is an IPA that could easily be tolerated by those who are new to stronger flavored beers, but tasty enough for the professionals to enjoy. I like to think about having several beers of one type over the course of a night as a gauge to the quality of beer...this is a beer that I could enjoy several of without tiring and wanting to switch to something else!

Do yourself a favor and pick up some Lagunitas Maximus IPA to try for yourself!


Flavor: Hoppy and citrus with nice spicy notes
Color: Golden with a nice clean finish
Alcohol Content: 7.5% (by volume)
Average Price: $10.98 (6 pack)

Calories: 233
Total Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Carbs: 21.5 g
Protein: 1 g


1 comment:

  1. Protein in this beer? I believe this is the first beer to have protein since you started writing down the 'nutrition facts' of the various beers...

    ReplyDelete