Thursday, May 6, 2010

Wait, im NOT reviewing an IPA? - Sierra Nevada Stout

I have been a fan of Sierra Nevada since my first sip of it in a few years ago...however, I can say that my experiences have typically been with their different varieties of hoppier beers (IPAs, seasonal beers, etc.) The company itself has a very unique and inspirational history (the president began brewing in his garage and now has one of the largest microbreweries in the country...all with no paid advertising). Today, to experience more of their brand, I will be sampling the Sierra Nevada Stout.







Right off the bat, this is probably one of the darkest beers I have ever seen; imagine a Guinness without the defined head and unique bubbling. The aroma is nice and chocolaty, but not quite as potent as the aforementioned beer...The flavor is rich with a surprising (and pleasant) hoppy finish. I suppose that this is to be expected with a Sierra Nevada, as it seems that they pride themselves on the ability to infuse any beer the brew with a good amount of hops. The flavor is forward, but doesn't linger on the pallet much longer than it should.

All in all, I would say that this beer is a very tasty addition to my already beloved Sierra Nevada brand. If you are looking for a traditional (i.e. Guinness) flavored stout, I would probably steer away from this one, but if you are looking for something a bit more unique than your typical stout, then I would definitely recommend this beer!


Flavor: Chocolaty with a warm hoppy finish
Color: Dark brown (practically black)
Alcohol Content: 5.8% (by volume)
Average Price: $8.99 (6 pack)

Calories: 175
Total Fat: 0g
Cholesterol: 0g
Carbs: 14.1 g
Protein: 1.5 g


No comments:

Post a Comment