Saturday, March 27, 2010

Awwww: Black eyes...Red Seal Ale

Well, I really shouldn't threaten myself with a good time...I told Jess that while she was on her trip to Georgia that I was going to do a 6 beer review. Well, she called my bluff and purchased me 6 different beers to do reviews on! Join me on my journey from beer to beer; sobriety to inebriation.


I chose this first beer in honor of my drinking partner for the evening (and a reason I am sure that Jess picked this beer as well): Emma! Both she and seals have much in common...long bodies, black eyes, smooth fir, and an overall cuteness about them.





Red Seal Ale is brought to us North Coast Brewing Company, the same company that makes Old Rasputin (reviewed a few posts ago by yours truly). I really enjoyed the Rasputin and at first glance it looks like I should really enjoy this beer as well. A great red color with no noticeable flaws (no cloudiness or specks). After pouring the beer, the head was quick to subside, but never quiet vanished.

My first taste was meet with much more bitterness than I had expected...much more like an IPA than I anticipated. After reviewing their website, I was surprised to see that this beer actually is an IPA! the color threw me off a bit, but the tastebuds are always batting 1000. The hoppiness grips you nicely without overpowering the smoothness of the beer. I am still slightly shocked by how wonderful this beer is!

I have reviewed so many other IPAs in this blog (in addition to trying so many others that have yet to be reviewed), so I dont think there is much more room for description on what makes an IPA great, but I will part is saying that this will rank among one of the best beers I have ever tasted (and Emma gives her approval too!)


Flavor: Smooth hoppiness, delicious...
Color: Flawless red hue
Alcohol Content: 5.5% (per volume)
Average Price: $8.79 (6-pack)



What a good drinking buddy!

No comments:

Post a Comment