Tuesday, March 23, 2010

"I believe the proper term is buffalo" - Bison Organic IPA

I have always been skittish about foods that are labeled "organic"...I know that they tend to spoil much more quickly but are generally consider better for you. Beer, however, seemed to be doing quite fine with it's illustrious history of being "non-organic" (or rather, without proclaiming it's organic-ness). Jess purchased me this beer, and it will be my first leap into the world of organic beers...let's see if this shall be an odysseain voyage or a quick trip to the 7-11.





At first glance, this beer is your traditional darker amber color and hoppier scented IPA...the beer is slightly clouded, though I am not sure if this is a typical feature of organic beers. My first taste was a pleasantly strong hoppiness that was powerful enough to perk my interest, but no so strong as to turn me off to the beer immediately. Also, and this might be because I was searching for something that might make an organic beer taste differently, I can detect a subtle earthiness about the Bison IPA.

I don't have any food to compare this IPA to, but you can always click on the links at the side of the page to read some of my older IPA reviews to get a good idea of what to eat while enjoying a fine pale ale such as this one. After reviewing it this way, I would recommend drink this beer with your favorite music playing on Pandora while messing around with your beetle collection (although, I am probably the only person in the world listening to Kanye West while preparing their Xylotrupes gideon for mounting).



(This type of beetle, although not necessarily this type of mounting)


All in all, a very tasty beer and a good enough one to help me shake off some of my fears about trying other types of organic beers...I would definitely give this the Beeritarian Seal of Approval.


Flavor: Hoppy and strong, without being overpowering in it's strength
Color: Dark amber and cloudy
Alcohol Content: 6.8% (per volume)
Average Price: $1.99 (bottle)

No comments:

Post a Comment